Thursday, March 10, 2011

VGCulture - Dragon Age 2 Exploit Found Already

Dragon Age 2 was released two days ago and players have already found a exploit to gain an infinite amount of experience points and currency:

Source: Youtube Channel boricuacookie

This isn't the first RPG or game to have an exploit that grants infinite amounts of experience points and/or currency, but this finding in Dragon Age 2 has caused quite a stir in the gaming community.  Here are some of the complaints I've read on comments to articles and videos:
-This takes out the entire RPG element of leveling and gaining skills through side-quests
-Why would you want to ruin the fun of the game and make it unreasonably easy for the rest of the game?
-There's no purpose in playing side-quests anymore and the rest of the game will be too easy
-Exploits like these are only for those too lazy to work up to the levels
-Showing this glitch ruins the game for everyone who wants to play it legitimately!
(All these quotes have been reworded so that they don't pin-point to a specific user in the internet community).

I'm surprised that this exploit has caused such a commotion when it's within a single-player only game.  If it was for an online game or a multiplayer game that would affect other players and create an imbalance, then it would be reasonable to raise concern for the well being of the game experience for everyone else playing legitimately.  Maybe players who are more concerned with achievements feel as if they're being cheated out of since players who uses the exploit gains them much easier and faster than those who play according to the rules.  Personally, I think those who want to use the exploit should go ahead and do it.  If you don't want to cheat, don't do it!  A game should be played the way the player feels they'll have the most fun (as long as it doesn't hurt the game experience of other players by breaking the rules).  I use exploits all the time for single-player games.  If I'm playing Super Mario World and I can get an infinite amount of 1-ups in the "secret area", I'll do it because I don't want to go all the way back to a castle or ghost house if I mess up later on.  If I'm playing a fighting game like Tekken 6 and I find a cheap move that the end Boss can't block or gets confused with, I'm gonna spam like a boss if I can't beat him with actual skill.  If I'm playing Mega Man and I can kill a boss by pressing start several times when I don't want to go through with fighting him, I'll do it.  I don't have to do any of these things, but sometimes I like to experiment or have that little bit of edge when the game's too hard.  As for the Dragon Age 2 exploit, I don't think I'll be taking advantage of it when I finally buy the game.  But if there's someone out there who feels like they'll have fun with the exploit, then I don't think we have a right to say they can't play like that.  There's a reason why crazy, open-ended, sand-box type games like Garry's Mod, Minecraft, and Grand Theft Auto 4 are so fun and interesting to people.  There's so many different things to try and experiment with:

Source: Youtube Channel machinima

That's it for now, have fun with Dragon Age 2 (with or without the exploit).

No comments:

Post a Comment