Friday, July 15, 2011

VGCulture - Terraria is a time eater

What's happening to me now with Terraria is exactly the reason why I stayed away from Minecraft: I can't stop!  Minecraft was a bit easier to resist since I didn't know too many people who would play it along with me.  For Terraria, I know one other friend who's played over 100 hours.  And after reaching 12 hours of gameplay after one week, I am convinced that 100 hours is not enough.

Source: Youtube Channel demilogic

I was up pretty late last night playing Terraria, and I spent the first hour just tearing down my dirt wall since I realized that NPCs don't come into your house unless you have a stone wall or anything sturdier than that.  I think what makes the game so captivating is that it's relaxing yet still challenging and fun.  I don't have to deal with online players, competitive gameplay, or intense graphics to enjoy playing a game.  It's also the exploration part of the game that's so compelling as the more deeper you go into the world, the more dangerous it becomes with the chance of more rewards.  It's so satisfying to play at my own pace and participating a on-going time-frame that affects the gameplay.  It reminds me a lot of the MMORPGs I used to play where I didn't have to go to a specific spot to do something or grind in an area for long durations.  There is some grinding in terms of finding materials to craft items, but I've never been so excited about crafting new equipment in a game as this one (okay, that's a lie.  I was super into forging new weapons in Demon's Souls).  The game is even more fun playing with a friend and fighting bosses together and experiencing crazy shenanigans in caves.  On Tuesday, I said that dying in the game didn't penalize you.  But I was wrong.  I found out that you lost half your money that you're carrying when you die.  I like it more like that.  It gives me more of a reason to stay alive and be more weary in combat.  And of course, there's my obsession with weapons in this game.  I don't have much except swords, a spear, and a bow.  But later on, there's light sabers, shurikens, and firearms that you can use.  Out of all the games I bought during the summer sale, Terraria was probably the best one and I'll probably get past 100 hours of gameplay sometime near the end of summer.  If you haven't checked the game out yet, do it now (it's totally worth it!): http://store.steampowered.com/app/105600/

Things that add up to the time spent playing the game:
-Collecting
-Fighting
-Exploring
-Crafting
-Designing
-Experimenting (yup, lots to do in the game)

1 comment:

  1. For those interested in trying upcoming games,
    go to Game Tester and obtain Game Tester 2011 Report!
    Absolutely free with this code: Ea472MvP
    :)

    ReplyDelete