Thursday, June 23, 2011

Retroview - Tennis (GB)

Does anyone remember the Black & White Gameboy game "Tennis"?  That game was very simplistic, but incredibly difficult considering that it had only two buttons.  Well it seems like it's going to be one of the games available to Nintendo's Gameboy 3DS' Virtual Console.  Some rumors (I mainly saw them on Youtube) speculate that classic games like "Super Mario Bros." and "The Legend of Zelda" will be recreated to have the 3D effect for the 3DS Virtual Console.  Those games are old, and the 3D sounds very gimmicky for it.  But it still has my attention as those are games that many of us grew up with and still enjoy while being able to experience it in a different perspective.  Anyways, back to "Tennis".
Source: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/3ds-virtual-tennis/716747

It was one of the first few games I got for my Gameboy and it holds a lot of memories (a lot of frustrated moments and anger, but memories nonetheless).  First off, the opponent is devious and seems to know how to piss you off.  Mario is the umpire sitting in the seat calling "outs" when they clearly hit the line.  And then there are many times where the ball just goes where you don't want it to go by over hitting it or your character is so god dang slow that he can run after a lob.  Yup, I have bitter memories of playing the game, but it was pretty satisfying the first time I beat it.  I still remember playing it right next to my family when they were watching the Wimbledon tournaments on TV, which is how I (more or less) learned the rules to Tennis.  Tennis eventually became my favorite sport and is the one I play most now (if I ever get the chance to).  I doubt Nintendo will take the time to make every retro game on the virtual console for the 3DS into 3D.  But if they do, maybe I'll get "Tennis" and revisit the game in 3D and prepare for some more punishment.  Also, I still have the original in my possession.  I never play it anymore, too frustrating...

No comments:

Post a Comment