Monday, April 18, 2011

VGCulture - How I imagined Sonic the Hedgehog 4 to look like

I may have mentioned already that I tried out the demo for Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and was disappointed by the art style and clunky feeling of controlling the character.  I saw a video today of a fan made sonic game called Sonic Fan Remix and was blown away by the graphics and animation:

Source: Youtube Channel pelikan13x

What's even more impressive is (from what I heard) that the game is created with Game Maker and Unity.  That is intense! (Especially to those who have worked with those two programs)  The game captures the essence of the retro sonic while still looking modern in a way that Sonic the Hedgehog 4 couldn't.  The art style is somewhat similar to the original games I suppose, but they've been re-created in 3D models and have a very clean look that a lot of modern games have now.  I also really like the animation of Sonic done in this fan made game.  I guess the team that worked on Sonic 4 was trying to change the animations that were used before with new ones; however, put together along with a heavier control setting, the game didn't feel very fluid.  I haven't actually tried the fan made game yet, but there is a demo available.  Click on the YouTube button and you'll find a link under the uploader's video.  Someone hire this guy to work on the future Sonic games!

No comments:

Post a Comment