Thursday, April 28, 2011

GameLight - Little Cave Hero

Official Site: http://www.facebook.com/littlecavehero
Source: Facebook Page

Title: Little Cave Hero
Platform: Facebook
Genre: Casual
Structure: Micro-Transaction

I want to do a review of the game, but I simply haven't played enough of it to have a strong opinion.  I usually don't like Facebook games because I find them to be OCD inducing, text-based, RPGs that usually requires spending real money in order to participate in the main contents of the game.  I've been continuing giving Facebook games a chance (especially with games made by big name companies) and so I've been trying ones that seem interesting.  I saw an ad on the sidebar of Facebook that showcased a little pixel character and asked if I liked retro game art.  I saw it a few times and curiosity took over and I clicked it.  So I'm going to say now that one of the most charming aspects of the game is the art style.  It's simplistic, easy on the eyes, effective as a way of presenting the game, and it runs very smoothly with fully animation.  The game reminds me a bit of Rune Factory: A Fantasy Harvest Moon since it's half building your town (rather than farming) and half dungeon exploring.  The interface is a bit overwhelming at first, but the game teaches you about everything one at a time.  The game has full on music and sound, something I find commendable in browser-based / Facebook Games.  I kind of forget how the story begins, but the town is desolated with only you and the mayor.  The Mayor is a stereotypical quest giver with snide remarks towards the player about having you do something because he doesn't want to.  The dialogue is quirky and light-hearted making it a welcoming game for players of all ages and skill level.  The Mayor will ask the player to perform various tasks and the player will learn how the game works by following through with them.  The game can be expanded to full screen which increases the field of vision of everything around you rather than just stretching it full screen.  I really like that function since I don't have to keep scrolling and squint my eyes on certain objects and words.  The game runs even smoother full screen in my opinion.  The actions of the player is limited by a stamina bar like many other facebook games, and so I don't  linger for long durations when I decide to play it.  Overall, I think it's a step in the right direction in how to make fun facebook games.  Even though I still don't plan on spending any money on the game, I really do enjoy the game thus far since I have so much more control over everything around my character rather than just clicking buttons and watch everything happen.  If you're looking for a fun little time waster, I highly recommend Little Cave Hero over the other Facebook Games I've played so far (Facebook Games are getting better.  Hooray for free games!).

No comments:

Post a Comment