Monday, April 25, 2011

GameLight - Phantasy Star Online 2

Phantasy Star Online fans rejoiced at last year's Tokyo Game Show 2010 (TGS 2010) when they revealed that Phantasy Star Online 2 was in development.  During the presentation, it showed the past 10 years of Phantasy Star games and then finally showed the Title logo for PSO2, that's it.  Today, we got actual footage of the gameplay!

Source: Youtube Channel leroykthx

Someone graciously translated the Japanese into English Captions (not sure if this user was the one, it was not stated) to let viewers know what the new functions of this iteration of Phantasy Star has in store.  Here's the list if you were too laz...err busy to watch it:

-Random Areas: Randomly generated levels
-Custom Combos: Creating your own attack combinations
-Third Person Shooter-Style: A Third-Person Perspective with the ability to aim and shoot manually
-Jumping: Players are no longer bound to the ground anymore!
-Combo-Combinations: Huh? Japanese says Hybrid Custom Action. Chained Skills perhaps?
-Seamless Weather Transitions: Weather changes in-game
-Interrupt Events: Challenges that occur in the middle of the level I guess.
-Aiming for an Endless Adventure: Bringing back everything that was great about PSO and then some

Phantasy Star Online: Episode 1 & 2 on Gamecube is the only game I have invested 1000+ hours in for a videogame (I'm pretty sure) and remains to be one of my most favorite games of all time.  I've played Phantasy Star Universe and Portable (still playing them) and liked them, but did not put as much passion and dedication as much as I did for PSO.  Maybe it's not because of the game itself but perhaps the fact that I am much busier than I once was (surprisingly).  I've liked all the Phantasy Stars in the past 10 years (Universe, Portable, Zero, haven't tried Ambitions of Illuminus, Portable 2, and Infinity yet), but am all psyched out for Phantasy Star Online 2.  I'm a little worried since it's only announced to be out on PC (though it'd be nice to play with mouse and keyboard for Rangers since it's possible to play in a Third-Person Shooter style) and it's very likely Sega will be charging for online play again.  I played PSO offline split-screen with friends instead of paying for online, so I was hoping that if a Playstation 3 version came out, it would have a similar capability (local multiplayer games are dying out in favor of online multiplayer).  I'm also worried about compatibility and graphics demand; however, if it's only going to be out on PC, you can be sure I'll be picking a copy up on the first day it comes out.

No comments:

Post a Comment