Thursday, October 3, 2013

VGCulture - Garen Does The Monkey

Official Site: http://beta.na.leagueoflegends.com/
Source: Youtube Channel League of Legends

Garen was the 2nd champion I bought when I first started playing League of Legends and he was one of my favorite characters.  He was incredibly strong with high damage, high resilience, his spin skill (Judgment) allowed him to be invulnerable to all spells, and it was a time where Fire Cape stacked.  After numerous nerfs and changes to his skills, I didn't play him as much and I saw the same from the community.  It seems Riot realized this and decided to spruce Garen up a bit with new visuals, some refining in his skills, and adding a new dance!

Garen originally did the dance from N*Sync's "Bye Bye Bye" Music Video.  But watching the spotlight, I realized he did "The Monkey".  But where did the inspiration come from?  What is riot referencing when they added it in?  I looked what other people thought it might be and one mentioned Johnny Bravo.  I still remember that dance being in the intro of that cartoon (Dance at 0:22):
Source: Youtube Channel Chankis39

Then I saw one other possibility from an Animé I've never heard of called Overman King Gainer.  Dance at 0:46
Source: Youtube Channel ntyun

I am now addicted to the theme song and can't stop listening to it.  There's also the theory that Riot is referencing "Bird is the Word" from Family Guy.  Dance starts at 0:28.
Source: Youtube Channel FOX

It could be anything!  The dance is a bit goofy for Garen, I kinda liked his N*Sync dance.  Still, his visual upgrade looks pretty cool and I'm planning to check it out myself in-game sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment