Friday, February 4, 2011

VGCulture - Crates in TF2

I'm pretty tired from work and from doing 4 game reviews in this one week, so I kind of want to keep this post short.  So Scott Ramsoomair of VGCats finally decided to draw another comic and made a joke on Team Fortress 2, which is something Josué Pereira of Nerf NOW!! usually does, and this time it was funny!
Source: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=300
Full view: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=300

I actually love Scott's comics.  It has that consistency of his two main cat characters while still making distinctive jokes on specific games.  Problem is, he updates very rarely and a lot of his jokes have been rather dry lately.  This strip being funny aside, I haven't been playing TF2 as religiously as I did when I was still in college.  I purposely cut back from it so that I could experience other games and get projects done, but a part of me really misses it.  The new crate system really bugs me, but it's definitely not tempting for me to buy a key for them (which is not a surprise since I've played 50+ free MMOs and haven't spent a penny).  The way I see it, the team at Valve created the store system to please the players.  It keeps them engaged, offers new ways to play, and doesn't demand that a player pay in order to still play the game.  From what I heard, a player can still acquire the same items in the game randomly like always.  I find that much more exciting because it's very much like an RPG where you stumble upon a rare weapon or a new item.  I found a few of the new items in TF2 and received some from friends, but I end up going back to my original weapons since I find my use in the effects they had (I'm not sure why people hate back burner so much, it's so much fun to hear *ping* *ping* *ping* *ping* *ping* *ping*).  If Gabe Newell is getting rich off the store system, then good for him; I hope that money gets put into good use for a new game (or the usual charity he contributes to).  I respect the man and hope to introduce game-changing elements into the industry like he and his team has in the past.  Everyone can make as many fat jokes about him as much as they want; he's the one laughing at the end of the day, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment