Wednesday, February 9, 2011

GameOn - Free Games - App Store/Android Shop (Mobile Devices)

The concept of free mobile games directly from the network providers is new to me, but I already find it to be the easiest place to find free quality games.  When waiting for an appointment, the bus, or stuck somewhere with nothing to do, having an ipod touch, iphone, ipad, android, and other mobile devices can be pretty handy for keeping one entertained.  With a simple registration for an account and a quick download, a number of free games are accessible to anyone with a modern mobile device.

Source: Youtube Channel squareenix

Mobile games have become a billion dollar industry and continues to expand further into our modern day society.  They may not necessarily take over traditional games and consoles, but they're convenient, accessible where ever there's Wi-Fi (or literally anywhere for those with data plans), and does its job of keeping us entertained for the short durations we're stuck waiting somewhere away from our consoles and computers.  But know now that a large portion of the free games in the app store and android shop are demos to actual games.

Advantages:
-Easy to find, download, and start playing right away
-Most games are short, to the point and good for killing time
-All the games are accessible from the device through the network's shop

Disadvantages:
-Eats up the battery to the owner's mobile device that might be needed for calls
-A lot of games are demos or short versions of the actual game
-Terrible controls for a lot of games imitating controls to handheld games like DS or PSP

It's really easy to find free games to try out or play with no charge, but finding the right game can be a bit more difficult.  A lot of games look good, but play badly because of the limitation of touch screen only controls which don't do very well when one needs that tactile feeling when playing an action or fighting game.  The best way to find a good game is looking for those that have the touch screen controls in mind.  Does it utilize it successfully and make it easy for the player to understand and play?  I'll try my best to list some games, but I can't ensure all of them are that great since I don't play too much on my ipod touch and I don't have an android...yet.

App Store for Apple Products (iPod, iPhone, iPad):

Note: To download these games, go to the app store of your device, open "games", choose a "category" and look under "top free".  Yes, it's that easy.  Log-in to your account, download, let it install and start playing.

-rRootage - Remember the game rRootage I talked about yesterday?  It's free in the app store too!
-Call of Duty World at War: Zombies LITE - If you've played it on console/PC, then you'll know what it'll look like.  The controls are a little tricky, and the LITE version is only about 3 rounds; however, it's a pretty good time killer if it's only going to be 5-10 minutes.

Source: Youtube Channel bael99x
-7Swords - This game is amazing, and entirely free (not a demo).  It's essentially Fantasy Earth Zero for the iPod touch/iPhone where you create a character and play online with other live players.  There are 2 factions to choose from to fight for when on the battlefield.  You fight other players and the faction that reaches 0 points first loses.  There isn't even registration needed.  Just start the game, log-in, create a character, and start playing.  Speaking of Fantasy Earth Zero, Gamepot will no longer be hosting servers anymore.
-Tune Runner - Not so much a rhythm game as it is a touch screen game where you match the symbol that's heading toward the little robot thing.  At least it's a game you can play your music to.
-Angry Birds LITE - This game had the attention of the media, game industry and the population of mobile device players everywhere.  I finally tried it out and thought it was a nicely designed game, but did it seriously cause that much attention to the media?  It's fun, but not groundbreaking (maybe the sales were, but meh...).
-Coast Defense: Reloaded Free - If you've ever played Beach Head 2000 at the arcades, it's a lot like that game.  The controls are decent and gives the player a lot of control.  I don't know how far the free version goes, but I've already played so many levels and am still going that it feels like a full game.  This is one of my favorites that I've played in the past thus far.

Source: Youtube Channel TheGameTrail
-Modern Combat 2: Black Pegasus FREE - Remember I did a review on Modern Combat Domination last week?  This is that same company: Gameloft.  I actually haven't tried this game yet (since I don't have enough space on my iPod to download), but it looks so amazing!  There's not harm in downloading a FREE game and trying it out.  The most  you'll lose is a few minutes of your time if you end up hating it, but I heard it was a very affordable price if you end up buying it.  This is definitely a game I want to download once I get an iPad (or a new iPod touch with higher data capacity).

There is so much more at the app store.  Just check it out.  If my iPod weren't full of music, I'd get so much more games than I do now.  If I ever get an iPad, it's going to be filled with games on it.

Android Market:

Note: I'm going to have to say right now that I've never played on an android before, so I'm not very knowledgeable about the device; however, I've been looking for games for it anyways just in case I do get one in the future.


Source: Youtube Channel KongregateArcade
-Kongregate Arcade - I talked a bit about Kongregate on Monday and how they had a lot of games.  Well, if you download their application for your Android, you will have access to 300+ games that's compatible with the touch screen, record all your progress and badges to your Kongregate account, and be able to play any of these games for free like on their official website.  This is the first application I am getting the second I get an android phone.
-Android Market Free Games - Free games right from the android market.  It's very similar to the Apple App store where a lot of developers will create games compatible with both Apple products and Android phones.  From the official market though, Apple has more quality free games.
-Appbrain - I just looked up "Android Games" on google and found this site.  There are tons of sites with free applications and games, just search it up.  These games are free through advertisements within the game or sponsors that support the developers to release a new game each week.  Take advantage of it and have fun.

That's it for now.  It makes me really jealous that I don't have an (up to date) iPod Touch with enough data capacity to play those awesome free games and don't have an android to check out the hundreds (thousands by now) of free games for the device.  I'm going to have to charge my battery a lot once I get an android.  Have fun, and remember to charge your batteries so you don't miss important calls or miss an appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment