Monday, February 7, 2011

GameOn - Free Games - Flash/Browser Based Games

GameOn!  Another week of relevant discussion on a single topic.  This week, I'll be talking about free games.  Gaming can be an expensive hobby and sometimes some of us just want cheap entertainment without having to invest on a lot of money for systems, controllers, games, and extra peripherals.  The best kind of cheap entertainment is free games.  During a time I was busy with school work and didn't have the time or money to invest on big name games, I looked into alternatives that delivered the entertainment and stimulation my brain wanted without having to a pay single penny for any of them (not counting the bill for internet).  So today, I'll be talking about Flash Games and Browser Based Games.

Source: Youtube Channel mondomaniatrics

Flash games and Browser Based games are played directly off one's internet browser and (usually) does not require the player to pay, download, or register (with the exception of on-going games such as RPGs and MMOs).  This allows those who want to play something during break or down time for 5 to 10 minutes without having to worry about story progression, finding a checkpoint/save point, or working up to the actual game.  At the same time, a flash/browser game could have the player register for an account or save a password to continue a game that's progressive or on-going such as an online game.

Advantages:
-Games are free and leaves little to no obligation to continue or finish
-Can be played at one's discretion through internet browsers
-Games can range from simple 10 second games to MMO status that can last months or years
-Flash games are generally easy to make as they are to play thus having an abundance of games to play
-Compatible with many machines such as PC, Macs, handheld devices, etc.
-Nearly any game will run as long as the PC/device has Macromedia Flash and a compatible web browser
-A lot of them are accessible on Facebook and integrates functions and information of the user into the game

Disadvantages:
-Majority of the games will be poorly made
-Some game portals will have advertisements pop-up everywhere
-A lot of the developers for flash and browser based games are moving into micro-transactions
-Incompatibility, glitches, and other technical problems could arise
-A lot of the flash game sites could track the players history for advertisement purposes
-Really good flash games or Browser-based games are lost in a sea of bad games

These types of games are great to keep in mind when you're away from your own computer such as at a relatives, or a internet café.  I actually played a lot of flash games during High school because I carpooled with a family friend and usually waited from 1 to sometimes 2 hours before getting a ride back home.  My friend and I would be in the library for that duration in the computer section playing Adventure Quest, Kings of Chaos, and my favorite: Flash Flash Revolution.  Here are some suggestions of where to go and play Flash/Browser-Based Games:

Kongregate - A fairly new game portal.  I made an account this past weekend just so I can track my games and earn badges (Achievement system).  This site has a LOT of decent flash games made by indie game developers from all over the world/internet and is part of the GameStop Network.

Play DJ Maniax on Kongregate

Armor Games - I found this game portal the same time as Kongregate when I was doing business with them at work.  They have a plethora of quality games to choose from.  I haven't explored much of their site, but I found one game to be rather irresistible:

Play Hack Slash Crawl on Armor Games

PopCap Games - PopCap doesn't have a large list of free games to offer, but they do have a few gems on their site worth checking out (pun intended, c'mon, Bejeweled!  Biggest puzzle game of our time!)  All the games have been made within their company and so it's expected that most of their games are top quality.

Despite it being free, I bought it on Steam anyways.
Play Plants vs. Zombies on PopCap Games


I can recommend this hard enough. Flash Flash Revolution has been the most entertaining flash game I've played back then and is still an exhilarating experience playing it now. It was down for a while, but I just found out (literally just now) that it's back up and better than ever.
Play Flash Flash Revolution!

Here are links to some other games:
-Newgrounds - A lot to offer here and a few of my friends have their submitted games on Newgrounds.  Also, the co-creator of Castle Crasher started his career posting games on Newgrounds before establishing his own company with Alien Hominid (I had the honor of meeting him in person).
-Miniclip - I've been told that miniclip has some of the best flash games the internet has to offer.  I still don't play on there, but maybe some of you will find something fun on there.
-SESS - I used to play these games back in High school.  Good time killers.
-Shockwave - Wow, I played Shockwave back when I first had internet.  I'm not sure if they have good games anymore.
-Free Online Games (FOG) - Their site is a little cluttered, but they do have some good games.

Browser-based games:
-Kings of Chaos - This text based online game was strangely entertaining.
-Three Kingdoms Online - Based off the history of post Han Dynasty in Ancient China.
-Facebook - A lot of Browser-based games are available to play directly from your Facebook account with a click of a button.  No registration or downloads (usually).


Links to specific Games:
-Adventure Quest - Played this for 3 years straight.  It was fun seeing how the game evolve.
-Adventure Quest Worlds - I still haven't tried this yet, I wonder if it's any good.
-Gaia Online - This site has grown exponentially!  I remember when it was just an art sharing site.
-RuneScape - I never got into the game, but it's an incredible presentation for a flash based game.
-Neopets - One of the most commercially successful games that was bought out by a big name company.
-Captain Forever - This took up my entire winter break of 2009, yes it was that fun.
-Rose & Camellia - A provocative and hilarious game of slapping.
-Super Mario Bros. Crossover - If you like SMB and other retro games, this game is for you.

Have fun, see you all tomorrow~

No comments:

Post a Comment