Monday, November 12, 2012

VGCulture - Rant on PS Vita games

Official Site: http://us.playstation.com/psvita/games-and-media/

Ever since its announcement, I always thought it was a strange name to give but knew I'd be interested in it nonetheless.  With front/back touch sensitive areas, dual analog sticks, and a bigger screen, it was something to look out for.  Ever since my first experience with the device back in May 10th, I've been keeping an eye out on what sort of games have been coming out for it.  After all, the biggest reason for getting a gaming system is to play the games (though some people bought the PS3 for watching Blu-Ray discs since Blu-Ray readers were more expensive back when the PS3 launched).  So there are some interesting spin-offs from franchises such as Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Uncharted, and ports/remakes of other great games such as Street Fighter X Tekken and Mortal Kombat.  The question going through my mind now is "if I were to get a PS Vita, what games would I get for it?"

[Ragnarok Odyssey -  Xseed Games]
Source: Youtube Channel MachinimaTrailer

Based off the universe of Ragnarok Online, Ragnarok Odyssey is a Hack-n-Slash based Action-RPG that allows solo play or online multiplayer.  It reminds me of Monster Hunter, but a lot more exaggerated for an over-the-top style of combat.  I like these sort of Action-RPG games because they easily satisfy me with a rewarding experience each time I play them and can last for many hours of gameplay.  Unless Phantasy Start Online 2 comes out with the PC version next year in the West, this would be one game I'd play.

[Street Fighter X Tekken - Capcom]
Source: Youtube Channel CapcomUnityVideos

SFxT has put me in a hard decision this entire year of whether to buy it and on which console.  If I had bought it on PS3, 10 of the characters would come out later in the year, but as DLCs.  If I waited for a sale on Steam, I can buy it for PC and buy all the DLCs there for cheaper.  I could buy it on the PS Vita and have all the new characters along with the one already out, but I won't be able to play with anyone locally unless they have a PS Vita as well with the game.  Preferably, I'd like a definitive version for the PS3 like what Capcom did for Marvel vs. Capcom 3.  I didn't like having to buy the game twice just to get everything (the original and the Ultimate version), but I preferred it over having to purchase all the characters as DLCs.

[Persona 4 Golden - Atlus]
Source: Youtube Channel AtlusUSA

This is another problem for me.  I've taken interest in Persona ever since the 3rd one and had bought it sometime in college.  But that was the problem, I was in college and didn't have the time to play it.  After graduating, I found a really good sale for Persona 4 and bought that too.  It's sadly still in its plastic wrap right now and I'm wondering if I should get around to playing it or wait until I get a PS Vita to get the remake.  In the remake of what is known to be one of the best JRPGs out there, a new character has been added, more outfits and personas are available, and additional content has been added in.  The problem is, I don't know when I'll get the time to play it and I don't know when I'll get a PS Vita.  I hear the game can last from 50-70 hours on just the first playthrough.  I really want to get through the game though so I can start playing Story mode on Persona 4 Arena and understand everything as well as watch the animé.

What's keeping me from getting a PS Vita at the moment is of several reasons:
 -I have a huge backlog of games, mostly on the PS2 and PC
 -I just bought a Nintendo 3DS and barely got it warmed up (completed 5 games)
 -My purchases of games this year is pretty crazy, I think it's a new record

I've also expressed my displeasure of how the buttons on the device feels and how the device itself didn't feel very good in my hands.  So I guess I'm hoping for another iteration of the device to come out with a better ergonomic design and feel for the buttons (that's what got me to buy a Nintendo 3DS XL, changed a lot about what I didn't like of the original).  Most of the eye-catching games on the PS Vita are spin-offs, remakes, and ports, and that's okay I guess seeing how most of them are good ones.  I'll probably get one in the future, but I guess all I can do right now is look at the games that come out for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment