Monday, November 26, 2012

VGCulture - That Tingling Feeling

Have you ever played a game where it gave you a sensation?  Your mind gets excited, your hands are reacting quickly, and you are completely consumed and enraptured by the game as you are playing it.  This is the feeling I think most gamers seek out when playing a game.
Source: Youtube Channel ForceSC2strategy

I play so many different games now that I sometimes forget this feeling.  Some games just feel like dragged out.  Others feel like I'm doing a chore.  Certain games can be fun, but it doesn't really stimulate the mind as some other games might.  I finally got and tried out Torchlight 2 yesterday and got that tingling feeling.  Though it hasn't been very long since the last time I felt it, it was still strange to get so excited about the game.  I honestly didn't care too much about Torchlight 2 after Diablo 3 came out, and the first Torchlight was only okay even though it was fun.  It took quite a bit to really get through Torchlight as it started to drag on and no real variation got me hooked to the game, be it beginning or the end.  Torchlight 2, on the other hand, just sucked me right into the game.  I see that the game is faster-paced, but I'm not certain if that's the reason why I'm so into it right now.  It's hard to pinpoint what exactly makes a gamer get that feeling, but I think many people get it.  When people are playing first-person shooter, they're excited and feel empowered when doing well playing online multiplayer.  It's that same feeling when playing a fighting game and a player successfully pulls off a really complicated combo.  Sometimes, it happens through a long duration such as playing Minecraft and getting stimulated as the player builds their creation.  This is even harder for game developers to figure out as they want to be able to create a game that gives this same feeling, but not all players will get that feeling from the same game.  A gamer can be having fun and enjoy the game, but they still might not feel that sensation.  A lot of older classic games have that feeling such as the original Super Mario Bros. or Kirby Super Star.  This feeling is felt a lot less with modern day videogames, but I guess it just makes it that much more special when you find that one game that excites you.  Maybe that feeling is being happy?

No comments:

Post a Comment