Monday, September 30, 2013

VGCulture - Music - PAC-STEPS

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/236450/
Source: Youtube Channel Laurent Bosch

PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ had 8 DLCs announced for it before the game released which was offered for free for those who pre-order the game.  If you had pre-ordered the game, you would have 4 extra courses, 3 skins, and 2 BGMs.  I pre-ordered the game for $2 less on Green Man Gaming thinking that even if the game got a discount with the DLCs, it'd still cost around the same price so I might as well get it now while it still offered the DLCs.  One of the 2 BGMs offered is Pac-Steps.  When I first saw the name, I was thinking it'd be a Dub-Step iteration with sampling of the classic jingle from the original.  The thought was both interesting and frightening at the same time.  Thankfully, the track turned out to be Drum 'n Bass/Jungle (I guess it's referring to variations of DnB like Hardstep/Trancestep).  The song isn't too heavy so it has a bit of a laid back feel to it while still sounding fast and urgent which matches the hectic speed of the game.  It starts off sounding a bit more organic with real sounding instruments as it transitions to faster beats with a more synthesized drum kit.  The courses are great additions to the game and the skins are fun little aesthetic changes, but the addition of this song made it really worth it.

Sadly, I can't say the same for the other BGM DLC "Re-entrance".  It's essentially a remix of the Main Menu theme used in-game which I didn't really like.  The game is a lot of fun and I'm very glad they brought it to PC, but there are some problems with it that I'll probably address when I do a review.  If you already have the game on consoles, it should have upgraded to the new stuff for free while those who have the main game on Steam but not the DLCs can get Pac-Steps for $.99.

No comments:

Post a Comment