Monday, September 16, 2013

VGCulture - Music - Pokémon Catchatronic

Mix Creator Youtube Channel: Nick "Pogo" Bertke Source: Youtube Channel Pokemon

I don't keep up with Pokémon much nowadays because of various reasons.  I stopped playing the game because it was way too hard to keep up with and it took a lot of time.  Every time I play a game that required grinding, I'm reminded of playing Pokémon.  I've only truly completed the original Pokémon game and have not really played any of the main series games since then (though I do have Poké Gold/Silver and SoulSilver, just never beat them).  With the upcoming Pokémon X/Y, I'm considering trying it out since it seems a lot of changes to the game will be made for this iteration.  For the Pokémon cards, it was just too expensive of a hobby to keep collecting them and there were too many.  Did you know people still collect Pokémon cards?  It's crazy!  And finally, I stopped watching the show shortly after they changed all the voice actors.  It also bugged me that Ash never got smarter and always ends up doing the same mistakes he did in previous seasons.  So it's a bit of surprise for me that after seeing this little music video/dance mix made by Pogo, I have the urge to watch the show now.  The mix is pretty catchy and makes good uses of sampling (though, that's mainly what Pogo is known for).  I also see a bunch of first generation and 2nd generation Pokémon in the video.  There's even a small snippet of Ash in his original character design, hat and all, holding a gym badge that doesn't look familiar.  So much has happened in the world of Pokémon that I'm oblivious to it now.  Mike Fahey of Kotaku didn't seem to like the mix or video as much as he points out Pogo's other works such as the one he did for Alice in Wonderland.  Perhaps my expectations before watching the video was low that I ended up liking it a lot and reminded me how much I miss Pokémon.  Pogo has a lot of great works you can check out at his channel (top link).

Source:
-Kotaku - Pokemon Brings Back "Gotta Catch 'Em All" With A Bad Music Video

No comments:

Post a Comment