Monday, January 14, 2013

VGCulture - Anticipated Games of 2013

I didn't really pay attention to the upcoming year of 2013 in terms of games and thought "there aren't any games I'm really looking forward to this year compared to last year other than Phantasy Star Online 2."  I then started searching up some games planning to come out this year or rumored to release this year and realized how many great games we're in for in 2013:

Bayonetta 2 (Wii U)
Source: Youtube Channel HassanAlHajry

Bayonetta was an exciting, over-the-top, whacked out Action game experience for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.  Everyone was excited about a sequel until it was revealed that it was going to be a Nintendo Wii U exclusive.  This caused an outrage in the gaming community.  From what I understand, no other publisher were willing to pick up the sequel despite its positive reception from critics and players because it didn't make as much money.  So Nintendo took the opportunity to take the game onto their platform as to bring back their hardcore audience.  I was confused finding out about it, but I'm not upset.  I'll eventually get a Nintendo Wii U maybe mid-2013 or late-2013 and will pick this game up if it's out.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate (3DS)
Source: Youtube Channel gamespot

I'm really worried about this iteration of the Castlevania series.  From what I've seen, it's going to be like the original Castlevania games like Rondo of Blood rather than like Symphony of the Night with the Metroidvania style gameplay.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the originals; however, the difference in gameplay time is 1 hour in the original style while the free-roam style lasts from 7-13 hours with replay values of up to 30 hours.  I don't want to spend $40 on a game where I might spend about 3 hours and be done with.  Still, it's a Castlevania game and I'm really excited to see how it turns out.  Also, my 3DS is very lonely and would like more games on it.

Dark Souls 2 (PS3, Xbox 360, PC)
Source: Youtube Channel NamcoBandaiGamesEU

I knew Dark Souls did well and people loved it (I haven't had time to sit down and beat it yet), but a direct sequel really surprised me and was possible the only announcement in last year's 10th annual Videogame Awards that I cared about.  FROM Software has shown us a true open-world Action-RPG compared to their first game Demon's Souls where everything was linked to the Nexus as well as other nifty game mechanics such as leaping, hallowing, and combining different abilities to make a unique class that fits the player's style of play.  There are no release dates yet, but many are suspecting to see the game out in Fall or Winter of this year.

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate (Wii U, 3DS)
Source: Youtube Channel officialnintendomag

Looks like we're going to finally get Monster Hunter 3 in the West.  A lot of people are prepared to fight giant bosses, loot and craft crazy weapons, and party up with people around the world.  I'm probably going to get it for the 3DS since I won't be getting a Wii U just yet.

Neverwinter (PC)
Source: Youtube Channel NeverwinterGame

I've tried the original Neverwinter Nights games and I didn't like them.  I apologize to all those who loved the game, but it was slow pace, combat mechanics were incredibly clunky and archaic, and I didn't have fun with it.  So when I heard about Neverwinter, I was extremely skeptical about another one in the series.  Little did I know that it is a completely different game.  Sure, it still follows the lore and settings of the Dungeons and Dragons franchise, but the game mechanics and combat is totally different from its predecessor.  I'm hoping for the best for Neverwinter and can't wait to try it out.

Other anticipated games of 2013:
-Age of Wushu
-Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
-Anarchy Reigns
-Arma III
-Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel
-Battlefield 4
-Beyond: Two Souls
-BioShock Infinite
-Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2
-Company of Heroes 2
-Crysis 3
-Day Z (Standalone)
-Dead Island: Riptide
-Deadpool
-Dead Space 3
-Defiance
-Destiny
-DmC: Devil May Cry
-Dragon Age III: Inquisition
-DUST 514
-Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires
-Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns
-Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Firefall
-Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
-Fuse
-Gears of War: Judgment
-God of War: Ascension
-Grand Theft Auto V
-Grid 2
-Hotline Miami 2
-Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
-Injustice: Gods Among Us
-Last Guardian
-Lost Planet 3
-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
-Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
-Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
-Metro: Last Light
-Might & Magic Heroes VI - Shades of Darkness
-Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
-Omerta: City of Gangsters
-Path of Exile
-Phantasy Star Online 2
-Pikmin 3
-Plants vs. Zombies 2
-Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
-Pokemon X & Y
-Rainbow 6: Patriots
-Rayman Legends
-Remember Me
-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers
-ShootMania Storm
-SimCity (2013)
-Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
-Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
-Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
-Soul Sacrifice
-Splinter Cell: Blacklist
-Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm
-Star Wars 1313
-Tales of Xillia
-The Elder Scrolls Online
-The Last of Us
-The Wonderful 101
-Tomb Raider
-Wildstar
-XCOM
-Yakuza 5
-Zeno Clash II

The list for 2013 is only half the size of 2012, but it should be a pretty good year nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment