Wednesday, February 22, 2012

GameLight - ORION: Dino Beatdown

Official Site: http://spiralgamestudios.com/

Source: Youtube Channel SpiralGameStudios

When I first heard the name "ORION: Dino Beatdown", my first reaction was "oh no, not another dinosaur game".  But upon watching the video above, I'm rather keen on the idea.  The gameplay looks fluid, the user-interface is clean, the fact that it's a large open-world map interests me, and gaining more credits to upgrade items and equipment is a nice incentive to play the game more than once.  Spiral Game Studios is a new development team formed by talents ranging those who have worked on BioShock, Ghost Recon, Unreal Tournament, Forza Motorsport, Jade Empire, Halo, Borderlands and Mortal Kombat.  I like Sci-fi games where you can jump and hover around with jet-packs in large worlds.  I guess I like the freedom of it as opposed to be limited to realistic gravity which feels limited.  I guess in a way, the presentation of the gameplay reminds me of FireFall.  Everything is so "large" in scale and a lot of action is going on.  Here are some key elements from the game posted directly on their official site:

KEY FEATURES:

5-PLAYER, OPEN-WORLD CO-OP
Varying Objectives, Multiple Bases A.I systems populate the worlds.
3 MASSIVE WORLDS
Covan (Desert), Depth (Night Forest), Eden (Grasslands)
IN-GAME SHOPS & STORES
Three types of stores - Barracks (Player), Armory (Weapons), Garage (Vehicles)
CLASS-BASED GAMEPLAY
Three player classes - Assault (Jetpack), Support (Medic), Recon (Cloak)
PERKS & UPGRADES
Class Abilities, Player Upgrades, Weapon Upgrades and more.
CREDIT SYSTEM
Earn and Spend credits from completing objectives and progression.
15 WEAPONS, ITEMS & GRENADES
Magnums, Shotguns, Machine Guns, Laser Rifles, Rocket Launchers and more.
4 VEHICLES
Hover-bikes, Buggies, Tanks / Mechs & VTOL’s.
3 UNIQUE DINOSAURS (@LAUNCH)
T-Rex, Raptor, Rham-Phorynchus.
50 STEAM ACHIEVEMENTS
Gotta catch them all!

"Large worlds with tons of stuff to kill dinosaurs with" is what I got out of everything, and I'm liking it.  I'm really hoping that this game will turn out to be great because I'm really enticed by the concept of its design.  There's a bit of Action, First-Person Shooter, some adventure, some RPG, and some co-op tactics involved.  I'm not sure how many friends I can convince getting this game, but having at least one person I know to play alongside with me would be nice (anyone who plays online games with pubs know what I mean).  The game is set to launch March 2012 on Steam and OnLive for a very affordable price $9.99.  As long as they don't start spamming with DLCs and constantly charging extra for every little thing, I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment