Wednesday, December 19, 2012

GameLight - Don't Starve

Steam Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/219740/
Source: Youtube Channel GameRiotArmy

There's a little indie game called Don't Starve that I just completely overlooked because I didn't like the art style.  A few days ago, a friend of mine was talking about it and said he'd bought it already and described it as a survival game having to collect resources, research new items, and fighting off hostile creatures.  Through his description I had become more interested in the game, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it.  Then he said that those who bought the game gets an extra copy and he graciously gave it to me.  The game isn't officially completed yet, but players can buy it now and go through the process of playing the beta as it gradually updates much like other indie games (Minecraft is an excellent example).

Before I started the game, I asked my friend what I should focus on the first time playing.  "Collect as much grass, wood, and flint as possible".  I wasn't sure what to expect, but I had enough materials to create a fire.  I did when it said I should, but it just so happens that it ran out before the night ended and I died.  It reminded me of the first time I played Terraria and I was mobbed by zombies.  In Don't Starve, it implements permadeath.  So once you die, you start over.  But from what I understand, anything you research is saved.  So it's a game of seeing how long you can survive.  My 2nd playthrough, I got through 4 nights and ended up making a machine that can research more items to create.  I was running out of food and I couldn't move my machine, so I decided to research as much as possible before my character died.  Ironically, my character starved to death in a game called "Don't Starve".  I still don't really like the art style, but the game mechanics have piqued my interest and I'll probably continue playing the game as it continually evolves.  If hardcore games or survival simulations is your thing, check out the steam page on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment