Thursday, December 8, 2011

GameOn - Indie Game Composers - Magnus "SoulEye" Pålsson

Official Site: http://www.souleye.se/home

Source: Youtube Channel ChaoticHarmonyEcho

VVVVVV is one of the only games throughout my duration of working on this blog to have given a high 9/10 in my GameLight Reviews (the other being Metal Gear Solid 4).  One of the major factors that made me fall in love with the game is the music scored and produced by Magnus "SoulEye" Pålsson.  He did such an incredible job for VVVVVV that he has become a little "too" associated with chiptune music.  I say this because Pålsson has expressed desires to work more with music than just chiptunes, but he's so good at it that clients want him to make MORE!  His work with VVVVVV utilizes scales of modes with simple bass lines and melodies which make it catchy and easy to groove with.  The easy going yet high energy music really helped when going through some parts of the game, especially at "veni vidi vici".  I was seriously humming along with the music the entire time I played the game AND I replayed the game a 2nd time to get 100% on everything.  Although I exhausted my short play time of 10 hours on it (takes me only about 2 hours to beat the main game), the game was very enjoyable.  The music just made the game that much better as I played through it.  Here's one of my favorite tracks.

Source: Youtube Channel Gamemasternumberone

If you like what you hear, you can visit Magnus "SoulEye" Pålsson's Bandcamp site and buy the soundtrack for VVVVVV.  Or if you're looking for some Chiptunes to plug into your game, contact him at is official website up top.  I also recommend playing the game VVVVVV.  You can get the game on Steam for $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment